Mosquitos have been living on earth and pestering humans since the dawn of time. Like any other living creature they have likes and dislikes and that is a good thing. That means there are animals out there that eat mosquitoes and plants that will help keep them away from where you and yours are trying to have some fun. So what plants will help keep the mosquitoes out of your yard? Let’s have a look.
There are several plants that you can put in your yard to help with your mosquito problem but first you need to be cautious, some of them can also be harmful to pets if they are eaten. Most of these plants are not only beautiful but they smell delicious. Head on over to your local plant store, if you’re a gardener you now have an excuse to buy new plants. You can use these plants both indoors and outside and that will help keep mosquitoes away from the yard and the inside of your house.
Here are the best plants to keep mosquitos away:
- Rosemary: Not only will it keep mosquitoes away but it is a great herb for cooking so it’s win-win
- Lemon Balm: Mosquitos hate this stuff but people have been using it for centuries in medicine and cooking
- Chives: Another great plant that not only keeps mosquitoes away but can be used for cooking
- Marigolds: A beautiful addition to any garden they get rid of mosquitoes and other insects that will feast on your tomato plants
- Camphor: You can find camphor all over the US, you or your neighbors probably have some in your yard but this plant originated in China and has been used for centuries to ward off mosquitoes
- Catnip: Mosquitoes will hate this plant but your cat will love you if you put it in the garden
- Mosquito Plant: There is a plant so good at warding off mosquitoes that is it called the mosquito plant, okay that is not true. It is actually a bunch of different plants including the popular citronella plant that keeps mosquitoes away
There are a couple of other common plants like mint and lavender that are good at keeping insects away from your yard. However be careful with mint if left unchecked it will take over the entire yard. You can plant any of these plants either in the back garden itself or you can use some window boxes. You can make your garden look beautiful and keep the mosquitoes at bay.